Since 2013, WR&CS has been working to improve the play area in the Johnston Recreation Ground. One of the main findings in the District Community Plan was that residents wanted the play area to be improved and we formed a sub-group to develop proposals and seek funding.
Play area as it was in 2013
The group agreed a three stage process. We had to raise around £60,000 for the first stage and this was completed in June 2015. We were able to make the following improvements:
- New entrance, improved fencing and a pathway around the area;
- New infant swings;
- New cantilevered swing;
- Junior goal posts near the tennis courts;
- Improved seating for adults and log seats for children;
- Mound area and tunnel;
- Replacement of the climbing frame with one suitable for younger children.
Over the Autumn of 2015, we planted bulbs with the help of local groups of children to make the area look colourful in the Spring, using vouchers provided by Halifax Building Society. Below are two Beavers and the Church Create group enjoying the challenge.
In February 2018, we were able to put in some further equipment, which cost £18,500. This included:
- a roundabout;
- a wooden tractor, for imaginative play;
- a play trail with stepping stones, coloured blobs and a wobble board;
- road play markings on the path.
Our final ambition is to install a large climbing unit suitable for older children. This is likely to cost around £35,000.
If you can help with fundraising by holding an event, getting match funding through work or giving a donation, please contact us.
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT!