Residents are being welcomed to have their say on Cheshire West and Chester Council’s proposals to tackle irresponsible dog owners.
The consultation asks for views on a range of proposals which could be enforced using Fixed Penalty Notices (FPN). They include:
- Dogs to be excluded from fully-enclosed children’s play areas that contain play equipment to keep children safe from the risks of dog fouling (the bacteria from dog foul can cause blindness);
- Dogs to be excluded from marked and maintained sports areas;
- Dogs on leads at the request of an authorised officer – all public spaces except forestry commission land (Only if requested by an authorised officer, not at all times)’
- Dogs on leads in cemeteries and the crematorium;
- Restrictions on the number of dogs that dog walkers can walk at any one time;
- Dog walkers to carry sufficient means to pick up their dog foul.
The consultation will also ask for opinions on the possible use of DNA registration as an alternative to issuing an FPN and ensuring town and parish councils have the power to issue FPNs on land they own or manage.
Have your say
The consultation will run until 28 April 2018. Give your views:
- On-line: www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/dogcontrolorderreview
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0300 123 8 123
- Write to: Research and Intelligence Team, Cheshire West and Chester Council, 4 Civic Way, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BE
The outcome of the public consultation will be considered by Cabinet in Autumn 2018.