Since 2013, WR&CS has been working to improve the play area in the Johnston Recreation Ground. One of the main findings in the District Community Plan was that residents wanted the play area to be improved and we formed a sub-group to develop proposals and seek funding.
Play area as it was in 2013
The group agreed a two stage process. We had to raise around £60,000 for the first stage and this was completed in June 2015. We were able to make the following improvements:
- New entrance, improved fencing and a pathway around the area;
- New infant swings;
- New cantilevered swing;
- Junior goal posts near the tennis courts;
- Improved seating for adults and log seats for children;
- Mound area and tunnel;
- Replacement of the climbing frame with one suitable for younger children.
Over the Autumn of 2015, we planted bulbs with the help of local groups of children to make the area look colourful in the Spring, using vouchers provided by Halifax Building Society. Below are two Beavers and the Church Create group enjoying the challenge.
We are currently working with Cheshire West and Chester Council to complete stage two of the play area improvements. We will be putting in:
- a roundabout, which will be level to the ground for safety;
- a wooden tractor, for imaginative play;
- a play trail with stepping stones, coloured blobs and a wobble board;
- road play markings on the path.
The existing adventure trail will be moved to make space for these items.
It is hoped that this work will be completed by March 2018, in time for Spring.
To download a copy of the full plan, click here:Phase two final plans.
We still intend to fund and put in a large adventure climbing unit and this will be the focus of our final phase of play area upgrades.
The stage two plans will cost approximately £18,470.50. To date we have raised £19,665.12 and any money over will go towards the final phase.
Our funders so far are:
- Myles Hogg – Councillors’ budget – £4783
- Cheshire West and Chester Council – approx £1875 pledged to cover Landscape Architect fees
- Cheshire West and Chester Council New Homes Bonus Fund – £3000
- Cheshire West and Chester Council Rural Support Fund – £7000
- Johnston Recreation Ground – £1000
- Willaston Village Festival Society – £1000
- Willaston Residents’ and Countryside Society – £500
- Willaston Pre-school Playgroup – £95.50
- Willaston School – £150
- Fiona Ennys – £10
- Hardev Sohal – £20
- Jen Williams – £5
- Sue Hill – £20
- Trenholm Family – £20
- Chris Wells – £20
- Mr and Mrs Malcolm – £10
- Barry Vowles – £50
- Andrew Goodwin – £50
- Anonymous Willaston Resident – £30
- Collection box at Martins – £12.40
- Collection box at Willaston Barbers – £19.04
- Collection box at The Village Butchers – £38.30
- Collection box at Style and Beauty – £1.49
- Other collection boxes – £6.88
If you can help with fundraising by holding an event, getting match funding through work or giving a donation, please contact us.
For a list of funders for the stage one improvements, please click here: Stage One Funders
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT!